Sunday, March 16, 2008

Cheeseburger in Paradise

So I recently uploaded a photo of the burger I ordered while on my honeymoon in St. Barths. I think it appropriate to be my profile photo, as it definitely speaks to being completely and utterly burger-licious.

My husband, Mike, and I would eat lunch by the pool at our hotel restaurant, Indigo, pretty much everyday, and would see the waitstaff struggling to carry four or five of these burger plates at a time to the lunchtime crowd - - the plate itself was really incredible: a huge square plate with a cheeseburger that had to be at least 3/4 of a pound of beef, a heaping portion of golden crisp pommes frites and the tiniest blob of carrot slaw, which I'm guessing was primarily for garnish. The dish was without a doubt a feast for the eyes....but was it a feast for the tastebuds? I'm not so sure...

Despite being a beautifully constructed burger in presentation, gargantuan in size, etc., it was truly "all sizzle..." and, well, you get the idea. I think it had something to do with the burger meat -- it was extremely fatty and not as flavorful as I would've liked it to be. And truthfully, a few bites into it, I was kind of disgusted by how much food this was and how wasteful it was that I couldn't finish it. Besides, we're sitting poolside, and chomping on a 3/4-lb. burger while watching European bathing beauties prance around in barely-there bikinis made me feel a little guilty about what I was putting into my body!

Now, I titled this entry 'Cheeseburger in Paradise' but for the record - - the song was written by Jimmy Buffet, yes, in St. Barths. But, no, not about this particular restaurant's burger...Buffet wrote the song about Le Select, although there 's a lot out there on the internet that says otherwise. Here's a pretty reliable source, though (The New York Times): http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/10/28/travel/28stbarts.html#

Buffet also has a pretty substantial franchise going on with this name, Cheeseburger in Paradise, although I've yet to eat there - - any thoughts out there?

2 comments:

Marissa Zitka Abruzzo said...

Great subject Lisa. I am continually amazed at the marketing component of food. The presentation and delivery of any food item often overshadows the actual quality (and nutrition) of the food. As a health counselor, I focus on bioindividuality (understanding that certain foods can be one person's medicine and another person's poison). I do not believe in strict diets, but instead believe that you should listen closely to your body and what it needs. As everyone knows, hamburgers are not the best for you nutritionally for numerous reasons (antibiotic infused meat, has been proven to create/magnify cancer from cumulative effects of growth promoting hormones, etc.) However it is important to be aware of the issues that come with excessive red meat consumption, make food decisions that value your body and moderate accordingly. Again, listen to your body...there may be a time when you just NEED a White Manna burger. :)

www.marissazitkaabruzzo.com

Unknown said...

My Cheeseburger in Paradise was at the Loews Hotel in Miami last weekend. It was delivered at 4:00 AM and cost a ridiculous $40 but it was well worth it.