Sunday, April 20, 2008

My Burger in the Big Easy, Part 1


Back from New Orleans - - what a city! Even though I was there for work, I got the chance to take in the flavors of some of the cities best restaurants (too fancy to have burgers on the menu, unfortunately) and a few of the sites. Perhaps what I was most impressed with were the people. They were kind, hospitable, and extremely positive. And, they really, really love their city and are proud of their hard work to rebuild it after "the storm" (as they call Katrina).

Now, I was in New Orleans for a work conference, so most of my time was spent in the four walls of a banquet room listening to various culinary experts speak about topics ranging from plating to sustainability in cookbooks, magazines, and newspapers. I had the pleasure of meeting Josh Ozersky of Grub Street (www.nymag.com) but his panel on his new book Hamburgers: A History was sold out. I stil hope to get his book and keep up with my interest in burgers and their place in society.

I had a Po' Boy for lunch at Johnny's on my first day in New Orleans. On the menu was, in fact, a cheeseburger po' boy, but I felt it fitting to stick to something more traditional, so I had the shrimp po' boy which was a huge piece of French bread filled with crispy battered-fried shrimp, a generous amount of tangy French dressing, pickles, lettuce and tomato. My receipt indicated that ordering the 'boy this way was "Frenched." I submit that it was "Delish."